Saturday, June 23, 2012

Misadventurous

Behold, another t-shirt idea! This one took more time than the "Generations" shirt, and I'm very happy with the result.

For this idea, we decided to do a mash up, and we felt the comic, "Calvin and Hobbes" mixed very well with the cartoon, "The Misadventures of Flapjack." Both Calvin and Flapjack are incredibly adventurous, have wild imaginations, and can find fun in just about everything.

In terms of art direction, I wanted to mix both the styles of the comic and the cartoon. The comic takes, what I feel is, a very messy yet organized approach to the drawings. Line weight is important and while not every line completes to form the object, the reader can still keep following it to complete the shape and it totally works. The cartoon, however, uses very thick lines and is very graphic in detail. The cartoon also uses very little shadow, and instead favors hatching in shadows.

I like the way the shading came in, and I feel it's about as close to the middle-ground as you're gonna get between these two concepts. Anyway, loved this project, and like I said before, I love "Calvin and Hobbes", and I love "The Misadventures of Flapjack", and I want to thank the creators Bill Watterson and Thurop Van Orman for bringing these guys into my life! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment